Kidneys are important organs that do several functions. They clean our blood from toxins by turning them into the urine. Without the help of kidneys, the body gets poisoned and we would not survive for a long time. Moreover, they regulate blood pressure and help produce red blood cells.
If a patient has a malfunctioned kidney, they have to go through dialysis sessions or have a kidney transplant. Kidney transplant is one of the most common surgeries all over the world that help lots of patients go back to their normal lives. If you are considering doing this surgery, you probably want to know more about kidney transplant costs in Iran and how this procedure may look like for patients.
from 13000$ to 14000$
7 to 10 days
Minimum Stay in Iran
3 to 4 weeks
What is a kidney transplant?
A kidney transplant is a kind of surgery in which a healthy donor kidney is replaced a failed kidney. The donor kidney can be taken from either a living donor who can be among the relatives or family members of the recipient or taken from a deceased person. Before the transplantation, the urologist examines both donor and recipient’s health condition to make sure they are a good match and the surgery has a higher chance of success. You can read more about kidney transplant procedure step by step in Iran.
Who needs a kidney transplant?
Patients at end-stage renal disease (ESRD) or stage 5 of chronic kidney disease and even some patients at stage 4 need to have a kidney transplant. At this point, doing dialysis or having a renal transplant is needed.
Before doing the surgery, your doctor needs to examine your health condition completely to know if your physical condition is suitable for the operation. Moreover, you have to be responsible to keep your new kidney healthy by taking your prescribed medications and have a healthy diet for a lifetime.
Before kidney transplant
Before having a kidney transplant, there are some steps that must be done to ensure the surgery goes well and the organ rejection risk is to the lowest level.
- Finding a donor: kidney donors can be alive or deceased and they can be among family members, relatives or unrelated people. For choosing the best match, doctors need to have different tests to reduce the danger of kidney rejection.
- Blood type matching: it is ideal to find a donor with the same blood type or a compatible one; however, transplants with incompatible blood types are also possible but they need additional treatments before and after the operation. This type of transplant is known as ABO-incompatible kidney transplants.
- Tissue evaluation: when the blood type match is over, it is time for having a tissue evaluation. The tissue test is called human leukocyte antigen (HLA) typing. By using this test, doctors will evaluate genetic markers which can increase the chance of lasting the transplanted kidney for a longer time. When there is a good match, the risk of kidney rejection is lower.
- Cross-matching: this is a test that is done by your healthcare provider. In this test, a small sample of your blood is combined with the donor’s blood in the laboratory environment in order to know whether your blood antibodies react against the antigens inside the donor’s blood or not.
If the results of the cross-match are negative, it means the donor’s blood is compatible with your blood and you are less likely to have a kidney rejection. Having a kidney transplant is also possible when you have a positive cross-match, however, it needs extra medical treatments before and after the transplant.
- Checking other factors: your healthcare provider may also require additional medical checkups before transplantation such as looking for possible infections, matching the age of recipient and donor, matching the size of the kidney, etc.
Why Iran for Kidney Transplant?
A kidney or renal transplant is a surgery during which a healthy donor kidney is replaced with an inefficient one. This donor kidney can come from a living or a deceased donor. Before the transplant operation, a medical team of nephrologists, transplant surgeons, and nurses have to evaluate both the recipient and donor precisely to reduce the risk of kidney rejection as much as possible.
Doctors operate the surgery under general anesthesia and place the donor kidney inside the body. You have to know that a kidney transplant is not a final cure and you need to take your medications including immunosuppression medications for the rest of your life.
Why Iran for Kidney Transplant?
In 1954, first kidney transplant was performed in the USA. Now, Iran has the first place in renal transplants in the middle east. But why Iran is the best destination for kidney transplant? The first kidney transplant in Iran occurred in 1967. Every patient without considering the age factor can undergo this operation in Iran as long as he is in good health condition and has a matched donor.
By using the most professional team of physicians, Iran is now one of the highly qualified countries in the world with a success rate of over 95%. In terms of the annual kidney transplant number, Iran currently ranks first in the middle east. With their specialty and proficiency, the Iranian medical teams of kidney transplants are at the top.
With the help of living donors, Iran has the shortest waiting list and you do not have to wait for a long time to find a donor. If you are a non-Iranian patient, you need to bring your donor with you and after a short time, you can have the transplant operation at the most affordable price.
Iran’s Kidney Transplant Conditions for Foreigners
The following conditions are for non-Iranian patients who want to have a kidney transplant in Iran:
- The recipient and the donor must be both from the same country.
- They need to have the required documents and their medical history with them.
They need to have a timing plan to ensure they can stay in Iran as long as their doctor recommends.
Kidney Transplant cost in Iran
There are so many pros and cons in having a kidney transplant. One of the advantages of kidney transplants over dialysis is the cost of it. Kidney transplant cost is about 7 times cheaper than doing dialysis. The difference in costs can be observed in Iran even more. Below, you can see the general information regarding kidney transplants in Iran.
The price of a Kidney Transplant surgery can vary among different cases according to their health condition observed in their personal assessment. If you want to know more about the exact cost of the kidney transplant in Iran, you can contact our team of experts at TebMedTourism and consult about your own case free of charge.
If you need more information on this topic and want to consult, contact us NOW.
The consultant medical doctors of TebMedTourism Co. are at your service for free.