Male breast enlargement, which is known as Gynecomastia, refers to a condition in which men develop excess chest tissue that is more like breasts, which may be embarrassing to a man. This condition is usually treated with surgery to reduce the size of the breast tissue. Although there are some non-surgical methods to treat this issue, they do not always fix the problem. On the other hand, gynecomastia surgery is a quick solution that can improve male breast size by removing breast tissue and giving them a masculine appearance.
The Reasons for Gynecomastia
There are many factors contributing to the development of gynecomastia, including lifestyle factors such as excessive alcohol consumption or insufficient exercise, underlying diseases, aging, and side effects of certain medications. The sex hormone testosterone has a preventing effect on the development of breast tissue, while estrogen and progesterone hormones have a stimulatory effect on breast growth. The following factors can lead to hormone imbalance in men which may lead to developing gynecomastia.
Testosterone hormone naturally declines around the age of 30. By studying men over 65, it has been found that gynecomastia is often caused by low levels of testosterone. Some studies show that 24 to 65 percent of men between the ages of 50 and 80 suffer from gynecomastia. On the other hand, older men are more likely to take medications that can cause gynecomastia as a side effect.
About 60% of teenage boys experience symptoms of gynecomastia by age 14 due to hormonal changes during puberty. Gynecomastia, which is caused due to changes that happened during puberty, tends to resolve within 3 years without treatment.
The high amount of body fat
A high amount of body fat can lead to increased fat accumulation around the chest and cause male breasts. Higher estrogen level is also one of the reasons for higher body fat percentage. Fat tissue is a place where testosterone is converted to estrogen by the aromatase enzyme. About 85 percent of a man’s estrogen source is the result of this enzyme.
In the case of some health conditions, the testosterone and estrogen levels can be affected which will lead to excess breast tissue development. Some of the health conditions are:
- testes trauma, tumors, or disease
- kidney failure
- liver failure
- The pituitary gland or hypothalamus tumors
- Klinefelter syndrome
What is the Difference between Gynecomastia and Pseudogynecomastia?
Not every enlarged breast means “gynecomastia.” Pseudogynecomastia is a condition that happens to obese men due to the bilateral deposition of fat in their chest. In fact, gynecomastia is the enlargement of breast glandular tissue instead of obesity. In another word, exercise or diet can help an overweight person get rid of large fat tissues, while gynecomastia cannot be treated by losing weight.
Symptoms & Diagnosis of Gynecomastia
The symptoms of gynecomastia are:
- Swollen breasts
- Breast tenderness
- Breast discharge
The glandular tissue enlargement causes swollen breasts in men. These tissues are located around the nipple rather than fat deposits. This condition usually causes a feeling of tenderness while the nipples are touched. In most cases, the patient feels no pain in the chest but he will feel a little firmness. There might be other symptoms depending on the cause of breast enlargement.
A physical examination is needed to diagnose the disease and its cause. You may be asked to have a blood test and mammography to determine gynecomastia and its underlying cause. Based on the results of initial tests, further examination, including CT scan, MRI, tissue biopsies, and testicular ultrasounds are often required. According to the results of the tests, doctors may diagnose gynecomastia or any other medical condition such as breast cancer or fatty breast tissue.
Non-Surgical Treatments for Gynecomastia
There are various non-surgical methods to help male breast reduction. Some of these methods are:
- Dieting: even though there are no confirmed studies regarding the effects of food on the male breast, some believe that hormonal shifts can happen due to the consumption of certain foods. These foods include canned food, shrimps, soy, beer, protean powders, strawberries, and multigrain bread. It is recommended to use anti-inflammatory food such as berries, greens, citrus fruits, and beans and also low-cal, nutritious food.
- Exercising: Exercising can burn fat tissues all over the body and make breasts look slimmer. It also balances the hormones.
- Stopping the use of drugs or steroids: taking Steroids and certain medications can increase the risk of breast enlargement in men.
- Medication: There are medications that have been recommended for the treatment of gynecomastia, but none have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Moreover, there are few reports on the effectiveness of these drugs. Medications and drug-based treatments for gynecomastia include testosterone therapy, Clomiphene, Tamoxifen (Nolvadex), and Danazol.
- Laser therapy: Laser treatment is a non-surgical method that targets gynecomastia cellulitis. This procedure requires long-term treatment to help the patient get rid of the large breast permanently.
- Hormone treatments: hormonal imbalance can lead to male breast enlargement. Hormonal balancing treatment can reduce gynecomastia.
- Alcohol and drugs: limiting alcohol and drug consumption can help you prevent and get rid of male breast enlargement in a non-surgical way.
- Losing weight: in those men who are obese, losing weight can decrease the size of the breasts. However, it may not eliminate the extra breast tissue and could need better treatment.
Non-surgical treatments are non-invasive treatment options that can improve breast appearance. Nevertheless, those men who suffer from moderate to severe Gynecomastia may need surgical treatments for removing the excess tissue.
Surgical Treatments for Gynecomastia
Since non-surgical treatments are not working in all cases, gynecomastia surgery is used to permanently cure this condition. This surgery is very effective and tends to have permanent results. Depending on your case, your surgical procedure may be one of the following:
- Liposuction (to remove excess fat): Liposuction is a common treatment for male breast enlargement. This is a practical method for those who have large breasts due to fat accumulation. The procedure involves inserting a thin tube called a cannula through an incision into the chest and vacuuming the fat from beneath the chest to remove it. Most procedures are performed under local anesthesia.
- The incisional technique (to remove breast-like tissue and fat): If you need to remove breast tissue and fat deposits at the same time, the incisional technique is recommended.
- Extended incision technique (to remove breast-like tissue, fat, and skin): This procedure may include breast tissue reduction and nipple repositioning. During this procedure, the surgeon makes an incision in the breast to access and remove excess tissue. This technique is an outpatient procedure and does not require an overnight hospital stay.
Choosing Proper Clothing for Gynecomastia
If you want to hide the large breasts better and make them less noticeable, here are some recommendations to follow:
- Avoid wearing compression shirts, tight-fitting tops, and white or bright T-shirts.
- Try to wear T-shirts with busy patterns and layers or use thicker shirts.
- Choose minimally contrasting colors between your shirt and pants, and wear suits with pinstripes.
The Bottom Line
Gynecomastia surgery offers a flatter masculine chest to men and helps them have more confidence, higher self-esteem, and less anxiety and shame about their chest. If you are a man and this is your problem too, do not hesitate to contact TebMedTourism. We will help you treat this problem and regain your confidence briskly without trouble. TebMedTourism consultants are always ready to consult and guide you to the best solution unbiased because you clients are our most important concern.
Cosmetic Surgery at Tebmedtourism Company (International healthcare facilitator):
TebMedTourism Company is an International healthcare facilitator based in Tehran, Iran.
We start our professional activity in medical tourism industry regarding the profound capability of Iran in both healthcare & touristic fields.
We are ready with open arms to provide desirable services to our dear patients & guests from all over the world to enjoy world-class treatment quality and highly skilled doctors in Iran.
TebMedTourism company is cooperating with more than 40 internationally certified hospitals, 140 selected local hospitals, 300 specialized medical centers, 430 doctors, 112 hotels, domestic and international airlines in Tehran, Shiraz, Mashhad, Tabriz, Qom and other cities in Iran.
TebMedTourism team facilitates comprehensive medical & cosmetic packages in all medical & wellness & touristic fields aimed to achieve your desires.
TebMedTourism experienced team will make this procedure seamless and enjoyable from A to Z, so you will just focus on your recovery.